Brisbane Valley Heritage Trails
Brisbane Valley Heritage Trails is committed to recording the history of the Brisbane Valley featuring the routes forged through the Valley the pioneers. These include the stock routes, mail and coach routes, rail trails, timber trails, heritage buildings tour and the wine trails.
To date our efforts have focussed on the old stock routes, the rail trails and a tour of heritage buildings from Coominya to Nanango.
The original stock routes from the Brisbane Valley to the Newmarket sale yards were described in a folk song, "The Drover" first published in 1891, and now known as 'The Brisbane Ladies'. The cattle and sheep came from the Brisbane Valley through Toowong, past the still remaining Regatta Hotel and along Coronation Drive to Newmarket. After their sale the drovers returned through Caboolture, Kilcoy, Colinton and Yarraman to Nanango. There were no less than five stock routes out of Nanango that was the gateway to the South Burnett.
The rail trail in the Brisbane Valley links Wulkaraka (first called the Brisbane Valley Junction) just west ofIpswich with Yarraman that served as the terminus. It passed through Fernvale, Lowood, Esk, Ottaba, Toogoolawah, Yimbun, Moore. Linville, Benarkin and Blackbutt, with many smaller sidings along the way. It was commenced in October 1882. This was always a blind rail line, only carrying produce up and down the Brisbane Valley, in spite of constant agitation to link with Cooyar or Nanango.
It was the quickest link for perishable produce from Nanango, so there was a well patronised bus and trucking service from there to Yarraman as long as the rail line remained open. Similarly farmers from Goombungee and Cooyar were necessarily linked to Yarraman by the trucking services that would eventually put the rail line out of business. The Brisbane Valley Rail Line was permanently closed in 1989. The last Ipswich to Yarraman steam train ran on 29 November 1969.
The heritage buildings about the Brisbane Valley were usually homesteads built by the large property owners to house their families towards the end of the nineteenth century. They have replaced the moremodest accommodation of the pioneers except for the Colinton Shepherd's Hut. The tour includes Bellevue Homestead; Esk Heritage House; St. Andrew's Anglican Church, Toogoolawah, Caboonbah Homestead and Church; Cressbrook Homestead and Church and Stonehouse, none of which are open to the public; Colinton War Memorial; Linville Railway Station and War Memorial; Pioneer Hotel, Linville and Ringsfield House and grounds, Nanango that currently includes the Colinton Hut.